At Waxxpot, waxing is our forte, but beauty and skincare are an extremely close second. We’re all about teaching you the basics of achieving and keeping smooth skin. As well, our happiness resides within boosting your confidence. And what helps you feel your best? Healthy, bright skin. So, here’s a quick skincare cheat sheet for summer: 5 simple tips on how to get glowing skin.
How to Get Glowing Skin: 5 Summer Beauty Tips
- Brighten up. Firstly, invest in products enriched with brightening ingredients like Vitamin C. (This antioxidant packs a serious punch. It promotes healthy cell turnover. Repairs damage from sun exposure. Lessens spots and hyperpigmentation. Furthermore, Vitamin C protects skin cells from damaging free radicals caused by environmental stressors.) Try the Rescue Serum from spa esthetician master Joanna Vargas. This Vitamin C-infused skincare product brightens and hydrates. Additionally, follow Joanna’s genius tip: Add extra serum on the cheekbones for a pop of glow.
- Protect skin. Secondly, nothing makes or maintains a glowing complexion like healthy skin. We can’t stress enough the importance of shielding your skin from the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays. (UVA rays cause skin damage that results in aging and wrinkles. UVB rays cause sunburn and encourage skin cancer.) Therefore, purchase a sunscreen with a higher SPF protection and broad-spectrum coverage: The Skin Cancer Foundation suggests a water-resistant, broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher for extended outdoor activity. Apply two tablespoons’ worth of sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside and reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or sweating. (Yes, we know you’ve probs heard this 100s of times, but it’s worth repeating.) We suggest La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Milk Sunscreen SPF 60.
- Switch up your diet. Thirdly, fuel and nourish your body from the inside out. Hone in on certain foods that provide clearer, brighter skin. “What we eat has a direct effect on our skin and eating a healthy diet full of good fats, antioxidants, vitamin C, collagen and amino acids can mean the difference between a fresh, glowing complexion and a tired, puffy, wrinkled one,” Goop says. These six superfoods directly benefit your skin: avocado, salmon, blueberries, bone broth, lemon and turmeric. Thus, add ’em to your grocery list.
- Exfoliate. Moreover, boost your glow and brighten skin in one easy step. Slough away the dead cells residing on your skin’s top layer with a facial or body scrub. For instance, use a gentle exfoliant like Pixi Peel & Polish (ideal for sensitive skin) or the coarser exfoliator OLEHENRIKSEN Transforming Walnut Scrub a couple times weekly. As a result, watch your skin become not only smoother and more even, but be able to better reflect light. (And, bonus—exfoliation is an excellent pre- and post-wax step.)
- Hydrate. In conclusion, drink up, everybody. Because a lack of hydration leads to a dull (and even wrinkled) complexion. And if you don’t down the recommended eight glasses of H2O daily, you can always turn to hydrating beauty products for extra help. Your best bet? Opt for face lotions and creams, which tend to be more hydrating than serums. Our current faves include moisturizers like Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream and Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream.